Institutionalized gambling was one of the relics of colonial rules in Nigeria; however, gambling has been with us going back into history when lots were cast to decide on the outcome of an event. The Legal attempt to regulate gambling in Nigeria can be traced to 1964 when the Casino Licensing Act was enacted. Thereafter we had the passage of the Casino Taxation Act No.26, in 1965. In 1977, The Gaming Machines (Prohibition) Act was promulgated into Law banning gaming machines in Nigeria.
However, in 2005, the government set up the Nigerian National Lottery Regulatory Commission and finally legalized Lottery and betting activities through the establishment of the National Lottery Act 2005.
The above historical evaluation point to the fact that the following forms of gambling are legal in Nigeria and they include:
1. Sports Betting
2. Online Gambling at offshore operated sites that admit Nigerians ( Unregulated in Nigeria)
4. Mobile Gambling
5. Scratch Cards, Promotions and Competitive Interactive games
7. Land Casino games such as blackjack, Roulette, and slots ( Federal Palace Hotels and Casino (VI, Lagos), Transcorp Hilton Abuja and Le Meridien Eko Hotel and Casino (Lagos)
Illegal Gambling will therefore include:
• Non-skill based card game ( Cashie, Te-Te e, Kalokalo, etc)
• Any form of a game of chance
• Online casinos
• And promotion that is not approved by the Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission, the Special Control Unit against Money Laundering and the National Office for Technology Acquisition and Promotion.
EMPLOYEES RIGHT AND GAMBLING
It is pertinent to states that employees are permitted to exercise their legitimate right within the ambit of the nations law without violating the rules and regulations of the organization that they work for. Except the organization you work for is a licensed betting company that permits its personnel to stake bet doing otherwise is a violation of your employment contract which requires that the companys business is carried out within official working hours, giving it your time and total devotion.
In as much as no restriction is placed on individuals who should participate in licensed gambling other than the qualification 18 years and above, employees are free to get involved in licensed gambling OUTSIDE their official working hours. Leaving your beat to go and stake bet or make a pool forecast during your official work-time is a violation of the employment contract.
Continue reading by clicking: IMPLICATIONS OF WORKPLACE GAMBLING
Sharing is caring!